Window Units vs. Ductless Air Systems
If you’ve got a window air conditioner you know how noisy they can be. On top of that they’re a big power drain and can be a costly addition to your home. Ductless air systems are an excellent alternative for a number of reasons, and can save you lots of money in the long-term.
Ductless Air Systems: Advantages & Disadvantages
- Comfort: Window air conditioners aren’t great at evenly distributing cooling throughout a space. As a result rooms either get far too cool or way too hot. Ductless air systems regulate the temperature throughout a space and evenly spreads the cooling, and heating, where it’s needed. Most units allow for very precise control of how the cooling is delivered and where. Overall, they provide superior comfort.
- Noise: There’s no denying how loud window air conditioners are. Even the most expensive models that boast silence are still fairly loud and not the best for sleeping near. Ductless air systems are quite the opposite. Most models are whisper quiet and are easy to sleep next to.
- Energy-Efficiency: Ductless split air conditioner systems are unmatched in this department. They’re built to be incredibly efficient and with inverter technology becoming more popular they’re ramping up efficiency even more. Ductless air systems can save you up to 40% on your energy bill compared to window units.
- Safety: A window air conditioner exposes a security risk in your home. Thieves can easily remove a unit from the outside and gain entry into your home. Ductless air systems are connected internally and externally by piping that goes through a 3 inch hole in an exterior wall of your home. No thief is squeezing through that.
- Zoning: Window air conditioners only cool the area surrounding the window they’re in. Ductless air systems can be zoned and networked throughout your home by multiple units. This allows you to control the cooling in your entire home via multiple thermostats or a single thermostat.
- Pricing: Window air conditioners are cheaper, there’s no two ways about it. The difference is that a ductless air conditioner will last much longer and use less energy over its life, so you’ll actually save lots of money in the long run. A larger investment up front provides you with many benefits including cost savings.