Many people consider having air conditioning in their house to just be a luxury. However, for certain elderly adults, air conditioning is crucial to their health and well-being. If you have an older family member, having an air conditioning system may be lifesaving, especially when temperatures outside reach unbearable levels. Because of the natural ageing …
Read more “Air Conditioning is a Lifesaver”
Seasonal air conditioner maintenance is the most important thing you can do for your air conditioner. If you place value on the money you spent to install your air conditioner, regardless of the type you have, maintenance is important to protect that investment. Ordinary wear and tear, especially dirt and grime buildup, can cause your …
Read more “Keeping Your Air Conditioner In Good Working Order”
If you’ve ever spent the summer in Toronto and the GTA, you know that air conditioning is a necessity. You might not need it every night, but there are always a few weeks where the humidity can make it very uncomfortable. That’s why it’s important to know which air conditioning system options are available to …
Read more “What Are My Air Conditioning System Options?”
About a month ago Harold and Jenny (names changed to protect their privacy) called Ductless Air in need of a cooling solution for their Toronto home. They weren’t sure what could be done because of the layout and age of their home, but for our Ductless Air technician all signs pointed to a new ductless …
Read more “Case Study: New Ductless Air Conditioner”
Living in Toronto and the GTA means you are familiar with the weather. This year has been especially back and forth all winter with temperatures rising and falling every other day. New highs have been reached only to be followed up with freezing rain or snow, which can affect your heating bill. Rather than getting …
Read more “Is A NEST Thermostat Right for My Home?”
If you live somewhere with more moderate summer temperatures like Northern Ontario then you may not need central air conditioning. If you live in an older home you might not have the luxury of central air conditioning and have to rely on other types of air conditioning. Even if you live in Toronto, York Region …
Read more “Money Saving Air Conditioning Tips”
New ductless air conditioners have come a long way since their infancy. Companies like LG, Daikin, Panasonic, and Mitsubishi offer some of the most energy-efficient units on the market. In addition to their energy-efficiency they’re also very stylish and come packed with lots of excellent features that consumers love. New Ductless Air Conditioners: Inverter Technology …
Read more “New Ductless Air Conditioners & Technology”
Mitsubishi is a well-known brand worldwide. It has a reputation for high quality products that range from automobiles to air conditioners. With continuous innovation and technological progress in the HVAC industry it’s easy to see how Mitsubishi ductless air conditioners are one of the best on the market. They have split zone ductless air conditioning …
Read more “Maximize Efficiency: Mitsubishi Ductless Air Conditioners”
Most homes in Toronto, York Region and elsewhere in the GTA have air conditioners. For some people air conditioners still might be a luxury they can’t afford or haven’t splurged on yet, but there are options for affordable non-window units such as ductless air conditioners. For others air conditioning is a necessity and they can’t get along without it, whether it’s a matter of comfort or health.
If you are a household that has an air conditioner, whether it’s ductless or central, it’s important to properly care for it. It’s an investment just like any other large piece of your home.
10 Things About Air Conditioners
- HOW AN AIR CONDITIONER WORKS – Understanding the ins and outs of your air conditioner is important to understand how to properly care for it. Essentially, most air conditioners have two main parts a condenser, which sits outside of your home, and an air handler that is inside. Ductless air conditioners have air handlers that hang on the wall or ceiling and are connected by piping to the condenser outside. Central air conditioners have air handlers that are often built into the furnace system (evaporator coil, filter, and blower) and have a larger condenser outside. condensers cool the coolant, which is pumped into the air handler unit and used to create cool air that is distributed over the evaporator coil and blown throughout your home.
- WHAT A “TON” OF COOLING IS – This doesn’t refer to the size of the cooling, although it originated because large blocks of ice were previously used in cooling systems. These blocks were referred to as tons. A ton now refers to delivering 12,000 BTU per hour.
- WHAT GOES WRONG – Air conditioners should be sized appropriately for a space or house. They should have a certain amount of refrigerant. They should have a certain amount of air flow across the coils. If any of these things fail to happen things can start going wrong with your air conditioner.
- WHAT FILTERS DO – Filters clean the air in your home and allow your air conditioner to operate efficiently. A clogged filter makes the air conditioner work harder, which reduces its lifespan and costs you money on your energy bill.
- MAINTAIN THE SYSTEM – Proper maintenance is essential to the efficiency and reliability of air conditioners. Annual or semi-annual maintenance is essential to keeping them running well and your home cool.
- DUCTS MATTER – Patching up holes in your ductwork is one of the best things you can do to increase the efficiency of your air conditioning system. ensuring your ducts aren’t blocking or restricting air flow is also important.
- HOW TO INCREASE ENERGY EFFICIENCY – There are numerous ways to increase efficiency, such as sealing ducts, getting a smart thermostat and trimming bushes around your condenser unit. An HVAC professional is the best person to ask for all the details about the efficiency of air conditioners.
- LIGHTEN YOUR LOAD – By doing things like improving the insulation in your home or closing doors and windows when your unit is running, you can reduce the load placed on your air conditioner.
- VENTILATE – In addition to air conditioners being used to clean the air in your home it’s also important to properly ventilate your home. If you’re cooking a big meal or cleaning with harsh chemicals, consider turning off your air conditioner and opening windows to air out your home. Afterwards use your air conditioner to circulate the fresh air that’s been brought in.
- IT’S NOT THE HEAT, IT’S THE HUMIDITY – Air conditioners are important to control the humidity in your home. By circulating the air and cooling it down some of the humidity will be taken out of the air by default. While air conditioners aren’t dehumidifiers, they still compliment them in removing the humidity in your home.
For more information about air conditioners or to get a free estimate for an installation or maintenance contact Ductless Air today: 647-547-6079
Ductless Air has been serving Toronto, York Region, and the rest of the GTA for over 30 years.
Some people eat ice cream, other flock to the beach, and some dive head first into swimming pools, but there’s no better way to beat the heat than with a brand new air conditioner. If you live in a home without an air conditioner or its old, unreliable, or noisy it might be time for …
Read more “Cool Off This Summer With A New Air Conditioner”
Installing ductless air conditioning is an excellent cooling solution for homes and businesses. When it comes to installing ductless air conditioning there are a few things you should know. Check out this great list of things to consider about installing ductless air conditioning, so you can make the right choices moving forward. Things To Consider …
Read more “Installing Ductless Air Conditioning? Read This First”
You rely on your air conditioner to keep you and your family cool during the hot Toronto summertime. Whether you live in Toronto, York Region and the GTA you need to know that your air conditioner is working properly and there is a company that you can count on the ensure it remains reliable all summer …
Read more “Why Is Water Leaking From My Air Conditioner?”